Sunday, November 27, 2011

The White Coat

Every medical student dreams of slipping on that first short, thigh high white coat and wearing it around the hospital wards. The pockets, weighted down with medical stuff like a shiny new stethoscope, penlight, and small medical books (known as "peripheral brains") made us feel like members of the profession despite our novice status.


The medical student coat looks like this and usually has the institution's emblem sewn on to the breast pocket. We had to buy several our freshman year of medical school but weren't required to wear them continuously until our clinical years (third and fourth years). The short coat set us apart from the doctors whose coats were longer, to mid thigh. The pockets, however are the same in all these coats and what we carry in them is fairly traditional with individual variations.

Some of us were so turned on by the symbolism and perceived status of the white coat that they were worn first year whilst  dissecting cadavers.  I have to admit that I enjoyed wearing mine but thought it a tad out there and arrogant when a guy I dated liked his coat so much that he wore it into a Tex Mex restaurant on a Friday night. Oy. I thought he was pretty much of a jerk  back then and things haven't changed. I've seen him at various reunions through the years. He's just older now but still the guy who craves the center of attention no matter what. He's also a neurosurgeon.

The long white coat back in the day was the sole purview of the full fledged M.D., whether in training as a resident or the real deal. Nowadays, lab techs, Xray techs, the occasional nurse  and others wear long white coats. The change occurred gradually and no one seemed to notice or care. The part that hasn't changed is the requirement that medical students wear the short, dorky coats. A rite of passage this and one of many on the journey.

I've worn a long white coat my entire career as a physician.The stuff I carry in the pockets changed over the years. I now carry no money, less food, and the "peripheral brain" took a hike.. The stethoscope, the sole, absolutely required medical tool stores nicely in the lower right pocket. My I phone slips into the breast pocket along with pens and business cards. Lots of docs use their I phone apps as "peripheral brains" these days; amazing what you can look up in a pinch with a hand held bit of technology.

What I've noticed in the last 5 years is a movement away from doctors wearing white coats. My three male colleagues for example, rarely put on a white coat. They throw the stethoscope around their necks and off they go. I'm not sure patients expect to see the white coat anymore. Again, a gradual shift in the look happened while no one noticed or much cared.

I keep up the habit for more than the convenience of hauling around "stuff". And, if my women colleagues were truthful, they might admit to the same second big reason. What could that be you ask?

Check it out: from the back, most well fitting white coats hide the butt really well.  I shouldn't speak for all of my gender in Medicine but I suspect this is the reason you'll find the majority of female physicians wearing a white coat. I'm just saying....

1 comment: